My jaw dropped the other day when I saw that it costs $20 to have your brows tinted at Ulta. That doesn’t even include waxing! It was then and there that I decided everyone needs to know that it is one of the easiest things you can do yourself to save some time and money. It only takes about 5 minutes and the cost of the materials is just over $20 and they will last you for years. This is not an exaggeration. I have had the same tube of brow tint and bottle of developer since 2014! So for the price of one brow tint at Ulta, you can DIY for at least the next 4 years. Sounds pretty good, huh?! Even better, you’ll use less eyebrow products when you do your makeup because the tint will do part of the work for you! I’ve written out all the steps here, but if you prefer to watch a video tutorial, go to my Instagram page (@butterandblushsc) and check my story highlights.
Things you will need to tint your brows:
1 cotton swab
Coconut oil or Vaseline
Tint (I use natural brown, but if you have black hair, I recommend getting black tint)
2 cotton balls or cotton pads, dampened
Click here for a kit that comes with the tint, developer, dish and brush. Each individual item can also be purchased separately on Amazon.
1) With a small amount of Vaseline or coconut oil on your cotton swab, outline your brows. This thin layer of Vaseline or coconut oil will keep the tint from getting on the skin. (You don’t have to be too perfect about this. If you get any on the skin, it will fade after washing your face. This is just precautionary.)
2) Put a pea size amount of tint in your bowl. Add 3 drops of developer and mix with your brush so it becomes a paste.
3) With the brush and starting at the end of your brow, brush the tint on against the direction of your brow hair growth. Then starting from the other end, brush through them with more tint in the direction of hair growth. Make sure to get all the baby hairs on the ends that you want to be tinted so they show up!
3) Once both brows have tint on them, start a 3 minute timer. For a deeper color, you can extend the time.
4) Wipe clean with the damp cotton ball or pad and Voila! Beautiful tinted brows.
Tinting is recommended every 2-3 weeks, but you can do it as often as you like.