I wish I was that mom who cooks homemade spaghetti sauce from scratch and lets it simmer all day on the stove while the whole house gets engulfed in yummy smells as the anticipation for dinner builds, but I’m just not. I just don’t really have the time, I am always running in and out of the house (and I assume leaving your stove on when you are not home is frowned upon?) and I just don’t think that far ahead these days. That’s why I am a big ol’ cheater and use jarred marina sauce for this “recipe”. I do dress it up a little with some spices, but for the most part, I just let that jar of red goodness do it’s job. Also, “recipe” is a generous term because this is more like a “throw whatever you want in a pot and go with it” sort of situation. It’s easy, it’s delicious, my kids will actually eat it and it’s great leftover. This is yummy to eat alone or over pasta or zoodles.
This comes together in about 20-30 min if you’re in a pinch, but if you want to let it simmer longer, you can definitely do that too!
2 lbs ground Italian sausage
1/2 large onion
8 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped smaller if you prefer
2 medium zucchini, chopped*
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, more to taste
1) Brown the sausage and onions over medium-high heat breaking up the sausage.
2) Add the mushrooms and zucchini and stir occasionally as they soften.
3) Season with Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
4) Add the marinara, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for at least 5 min, but up to 30 min.
6) Top with a little parmesan if you’d like and stuff your face!
*You can leave the zucchini out and spiralize them for zoodles instead and pour the sauce over top.